Search This Blog

Friday, January 29, 2021

Linda Twyman's Murderer(s) Still Walk Free, and So Do Many Other Murderers

 



I knew Linda Twyman.  She was my neighbor on Maple Street in Evanston in the 1990's.  As you might guess from her picture, she was a cheerful person with a ready smile.  We weren't close friends, but I was always happy to see her in the neighborhood.  She moved off of Maple Street to an even quieter street in Evanston.

I was shocked and crushed when she was murdered in late 2005.  Linda was stabbed to death in her apartment.  This murder remains unsolved and as far as I can tell, the Evanston Police Department have made no public comment on it since 2013.  I think about Linda's case often, and it has been on my mind due to the spike in murders we have had in my community over the past 12 months.  

Evanston usually has 1-2 murders annually.  We have had at least 5 in the past 12 months.  This is due, in part, to the general spike in violence that has swept the country in the wake of the pandemic.  People are short-tempered and psychosis blooms when stress is high. The most recent murder happened right in my neighborhood, at the local International House of Pancakes, fer Christ's sake!  

An individual in a state of psychosis got his hands on a gun and went on a spree starting in Hyde Park on the south side of Chicago and ending on the Evanston side of Howard Street on Chicago's northern border.  He killed a woman at the IHOP - she worked in the elementary school that all my kids attended.  The shooter got shot by the police and died outside the Dollar General store.  It was horrifying and heartbreaking, for the victims and the perpetrator.

Since I was thinking about Linda Twyman, I called the Evanston Police to inquire about progress in solving her murder.  The officer I spoke with told me that she would tell the detective on the case to give me a call.  That was a few weeks and I have not received that call.  This is a cold case now, and may not ever be solved.

Poking around on Google, I discovered that there are about 250,000 unsolved murders in the United States and the the total is growing by about 6,000 each year.  Over a third of the murders in the U.S. are unsolved.  A lot of people have gotten away with murder in this country.  And a disproportionate share of the unsolved cases involve people of color.  

I believe that people should bear the full, natural consequences of their actions.  That is not happening when it comes to murder in the U.S.  Maybe more funding for cold case units would improve the situation.  Perhaps police departments really aren't focused on solving cases that are not straightforward, I don't know.  I know that lots of folks that know people like Linda Twyman yearn for justice, and it is nowhere in sight.

No comments: