Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Core Principles

 


As I have stumbled through my life, I struggled to find a set of principles that would provide some guidance and comfort.  I read a lot of treatises on self-improvement, success, etc. - not much resonated.  I went to various churches even though I was not a believer.  I didn't find anything for me in those spaces.  In the past few years, I became acquainted with the 12 Steps.  They have been quite helpful, but the Steps are pretty generic.  I felt a need for a list that spoke to me personally.  So I wrote my own Core Principles.  Here they are:

  • Always deal fairly with others. Negotiate fiercely, reach agreement expeditiously and follow through as promised.  Remember that turnabout is fair play, so integrity is not only the moral path - it is the safe path.
  • Be a fiscal conservative. Don't borrow money that you can't pay back.
  • Be independent.  Don't expect others to take care of you.  Friendship, love relationships and economic connections are helpful at times, but self-reliance is the source of true contentment.
  • Be clear-eyed.  If you must judge others, do so based on their actions, not their appearance or background.
  • Avoid proselytism.  Never, ever try to push your religious beliefs down the throats of other people.
  • Always pause first.  Resist impulsive words and actions.  Take a breath and think for a minute, or ten.
  • Cherish existence. Recognize that humans live for a very short time. Try not to waste that time.
  • Recognize capacity constraints.  Don't take on burdens you can't carry.  Collapsing won't help anyone.
  • And perhaps the most important thing - listen to lots of great music. Play and/or sing some, too.
These 10 principles work for me when I remember to follow them.  When I am mindful of this list, I am calmer and my level of self-loathing drops.  I have a code to live by.



No comments: