Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Back to the beginning

 



When I was a kid, I started playing the trombone. The instrument was not my first choice - I was home with a cold when the 5th graders got to pick out instruments from the music department. By the time I was healthy enough to go to school, all of the trumpets and saxophones were taken. All the percussion instruments were also taken. Choices were limited to clarinets, violas or trombones. I took the 'bone because it struck my insecure male brain as the least "feminine" choice. I felt unhappy about it. The instrument is a challenge to play, with a slide instead of keys or valves. Finding the notes was difficult. Embrochure control was critically important And my 5th grade arms could not fully extend the slide - the most extreme extension (aka 7th position) was not available to me. I also had braces and had to put beeswax on the bands to avoid turning the inside of my lips to hamburger. But I liked the sound of the thing. I worked on it, but I was a young beginner and it took a long time to pick up basic skills.

My mom was worried about me. I sucked at sports. I was younger & smaller than the other boys and got bullied on occassion. She decided that the trombone was an interest she should encourage. So I was hooked up with a college kid named John Maltester to get private lessons.  As it turns out, his primary instrument was the bass trombone. He could get an incredible sound and he became a formidable player. I just Googled him and discovered that he has had a long and distinguished career as a college educator, leading orchestras and bands in addition to performing as a trombonist.

I started out playing a beat-up student trombone from my elementary school's inventory. My teacher convinced me and my parents that I needed a better horn. He managed to find a Reynolds Contempora double-trigger bass trombone (used) for a bargain price. I think I was in 8th grade when I took possession of it. The trombone pictured above is the same model. The damned thing weighed a ton, but it was considered a top instrument at the time (late 60's). Bass trombonists in major orchestras (New York Philharmonic, Boston Philharmonic, etc.) used this instrument. The Reynolds Contempora was the first double-trigger bass bone and was first sold in 1958. It ceased production in 1979 when the Reynolds company went bust.

I played this horn through out my high school and college years. I also played tenor trombone and acquired a solid Conn 6H so I could play lead trombone in jazz bands. I played in a circus band one summer, and was part of the horn section in a 1970's funk band. After I got out of grad school and went to work, I set the horns aside. I was too much of a coward to try to make a living in music - it's an insanely difficult and competitive profession. I took an easier path and went into business. I kept my trombones, though, and even set them up on stands in my living room when I moved into my current abode 7 years ago. I thought if I saw them I would be motivated to start playing again.

Nope. They gathered dust and became ornaments, not instruments.

I now have a very good friend who is a world-class flutist. She saw the trombones in my place and gently suggested that I should get them rehabbed in case I want to play them again, She found the top guy in the Chicago area that repairs trombones (Dana Hofer in Des Plaines). I took the horns in and Dana worked them over - they are in good shape now.

After spending the dough to get them fixed, I felt duty-bound to play the damned things. After a decades-long lay-off, I sound pretty bad - back to my 6th grade skill level. I broke out some old exercises and pieces; I have been playing regularly for a couple of weeks. The muscles that make up my embrochure have atrophied. My wind is pathetic. I am having a hard time staying in tune. I am a beginner again. I am back to dealing with the fact that the bass trombone is a harsh mistress.

It's funny, but I am sort of enjoying my incompetence. Since I suck so completely, it feels good when a little progress is made. It feels a bit like a spiritual quest - deploying beginner's mind. I am trying to drop my pre-conceived notions about what I should be able to do. I am working on seeing the horn with fresh eyes, trying to feel curious about the old Reynolds bass trombone and look on this clumsy effort to make music with a sense of wonder.

And I hope to apply this attitude to my life in general. There is so much I don't know, that I don't understand. But I can practice, and I can learn. This old dog wants to learn new tricks.




No comments: