Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2022

Why Make Music?

 


It's pretty easy to list aspects of music. It is ephemeral - you can't touch it. It only exists when it is heard by listeners. While it has no mass, it can profoundly alter the way we view the universe and our place in it. It can change the way we view ourselves and everything outside of ourselves. It can trigger powerful emotions - love, grief, joy, anger and more. Music unites large groups of people - a single anthem can be sung by millions of a nation's citizens and create a sense of connection and shared purpose.

Music is powerful stuff. I have never been clear as to why humans make it, though. It doesn't seem necessary to our survival. I have speculated that it was a subset of our communication skills, or that it began as an imitation of natural sounds. Birds sing, frogs croak, wolves howl, humans copy the noises.

The oldest musical instruments (flutes made of bone and mammoth ivory) discovered by archeologists are 40,000 years old.  By studying fossils and human physiology, scientists have determined that when humans developed the horseshoe-shaped hyoid bone in the throat in a similar position to modern humans, they would have developed the ability to sing as we do today. The fossil record indicates that this occurred around 530,000 years ago.

There must be some evolutionary advantage for humans to be attuned to pitch and tempo. Dopamine is released when we hear pitches that harmonize well together in a mathematical sense - a major triad, for example.

For many generations, music was not a profession. It was an activity that happened in the natural flow of life. In the past few centuries, the concept of music as a "job" developed. Some of the original motivation for creating music has been obscured by careerist striving - make money, compete with other musicians, get famous, become a treasured person in society. These things aren't necessarily bad, but it can lead to a disconnect - music becomes a means to an end rather than an end in itself.

Bob Dylan said " Songs, to me, were more important than just light entertainment. They were my preceptor and guide into some altered consciouness of reality." 

Some people are obsessed by music, others barely notice it. I remember what Edward Elgar said - "My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it and you simply take as much as you require."

As I pick up my trombone again or honk on my collection of harmonicas, I try to remember that I am making music only for myself. I feel a deep need to do it and I don't know why this is so. Other people may like it or they may hate it. I'm trying not to care about the opinion of others.





No comments: