Alright now let's tick it off:
1. Dumpstaphunk is from New Orleans, where funk was born in that stanky debauched atmosphere. Yezz...
2. The personnel includes second generation funkmasters, from the Neville family no less.
3. TWO BASS PLAYERS!! Now that is a helluva funky idea! The bottom is punched up in this band fer sure! And both of the bassmen sing!!
4. Sly & the Family Stone - type vocals; extra greasy and sweet. The vocalists toss lines around amongst themselves, just like the Family Stone did.
5. Wah-Wah pedals! This band works those puppies to death.
This New Orleans syncopated funk is damned hard to execute. All the casual offbeats, intricate hesitations and locked-in grooves take mad skills to pull off. Listen to these folks show us how its done!
When I was an impressionable young punk in the 1970's, this music infected me. In New Orleans, funk never faded. This is what young people listen to and play down there. When I listen to Dumpstaphunk, I feel transported to a different world - a world in which mastering an instrument is considered a noble calling; a world where music is performed, not programmed. I am very thankful for Dumpstaphunk and their fellow travelers in the old school world of real funk musicianship.