Search This Blog

Thursday, December 23, 2004

Beer for Christmas

Many people like to drink beer when the weather is hot and sticky, but I seem to increase my consumption around Christmas time. I have posted a photo of my favorite cheap Midwestern beer - Old Style. There was a time when this beer was dominant in Chicago, but the Anheuser Busch juggernaut squashed Old Style's market share. This beer is the liquid version of white bread - empty calories, fills the space, does the job. It is a superb blue collar beverage and at an average cost of 50 cents per can, a heckuva deal. You can still buy an Old Style at Wrigley, but at 10 times the supermarket price.

Beer is a marvelous invention. Someone famous once said, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." This is an interesting thought. I do believe that I will head out to the bar tonight - if might be God's will that I do so.

No comments: