Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 01, 2020

Occupations

I stopped working for compensation earlier this year.  Since the road behind me is longer than the road in front of me, I find myself looking backwards now.  I made a list of all of my occupations - including the shitty kid jobs and unpaid work - that took up my time (and still take up time) during my life.  FWIW, here it is.

  • Vendor at Oakland A's and Oakland Raiders games, Oakland Coliseum
  • Fast Food Worker, Jack-In-The-Box, San Leandro CA
  • Fast Food Worker, Red Barn Restaurant, San Leandro CA
  • Golf course & park maintenance worker, City of San Leandro CA
  • Manager, Sinbad's Hot Dogs, San Leandro CA
  • Trombonist, Youth of America orchestra, San Leandro CA
  • Produce delivery worker, Bill's Juice Stands, Berkeley CA
  • Maintenance worker, Associated Students of University of California
  • Manager, U.C. Berkeley Student Union Building
  • Trombonist, Mystic Knights funk band, San Francisco CA
  • Trombonist, pit orchestra for the musical Applause, San Francisco CA
  • Trombonist in the band for Europarama, a traveling circus
  • Trombone teacher for Berkeley CA public school students
  • Summer Intern for the U.S. General Accounting Office, Chicago IL
  • Admission Assistant, Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management
  • Trainee, Bank of America, Chicago IL
  • Corporate Finance Officer, Bank of America, Chicago IL
  • Assistant Vice President, Bank of America, Chicago IL
  • District Manager, GATX Leasing, Chicago IL
  • Assistant General Manager, Lease Underwriting, GATX Leasing - Singapore
  • Vice President & General Manager, GATX Leasing - Singapore
  • Vice President & Regional General Manager - GATX Leasing Asia Pacific
  • Senior Vice President & Manager, Lease Syndication, Heller Financial, Chicago IL
  • Senior Vice President & Manager, Project Investment & Advisory Division, Heller Financial, Chicago IL
  • Senior Vice President - New Initiatives, Heller Financial, Chicago IL
  • Executive Vice President - Corporate Development & Investments, Heller Financial, Chiacgo IL
  • Board Member, East Village Youth Program, Chicago IL
  • Executive Vice President & Group President, Healthcare Finance Group, Heller Financial, Chicago IL
  • President & CEO, Health Charge Corporation, Skokie IL
  • Executive Vice President, Corporate Development & Marketing, Transamerica Finance Corporation, Rosemont IL
  • Managing Director, Colonnade Advisors, Chicago IL
  • Band Leader, Mr. G & the Mystery Band, Evanston IL
  • Chief Executive Officer, Colonnade Securities, Chicago IL 
  • Facilitator, Family Support Group, National Alliance on Mental Illness - Skokie IL
  • Board Member, Recovering Communities of Step Ahead (sober living non-profit), Chicago IL
  • Board Member, National Alliance on Mental Illness - Cook Counth North Suburban affiliate, Skokie IL
  • Group Representative, Greenwood Maple Al-Anon Family Group, Evanston IL
  • Crisis Counselor, Crisis Text Line

Much of my life has been spent pursuing money. I am out of the financial services industry now and I don't miss it at all, not even a little bit.  The Covid-19 quarantine environment has given me lots of time to ponder my past; I have decided that I am grateful to have had that career, and I am grateful that it is over.  I have lots of service work to do.  I owe it to my fellow humans; I owe it to myself. Also, music performance beckons once the pandemic passes.....

No comments: