Search This Blog

Saturday, January 01, 2005

oh five

The clock ticked and we broke out the new calendar that I received from my insurance man. My dear, beautiful wife took me to a New Year's Eve party last night hosted by her friend, Audrey Niffenegger. Many of the folks at the party were artists or writers - my wife plunged in and connected with these people immediately. I tried and I tried, but I could not fit in. I leaned against the kitchen wall and drank my beer. My sweet wife finally took pity on me after I grumbled a bit. We left before midnight. We saw oh five in with our two girlies, watching the lakefront fireworks from the second floor of our old house. I crashed right after that. I was yanked from my sleep at 3:00 a.m. with a wicked sore throat. I am facing the New Year with a lousy cold.

We prepared the "New Year Good Luck" meal - Hoppin' John, which is based on black eyed peas. Humanity needs good luck. We lived through a pretty challenging year in 2004. On the local level, our next door neighbor died unexpectantly in September. On a global scale - this is one of the worst years in our lifetimes. There was lots of human violence in many locations, topped by the tsunami. Oh five ought to be better.

No comments: